Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Thinking Small in my Backyard Garden

This year, for the first time, I'm trying my hand at backyard vegetable gardening as a way to eat (very!) locally and teach my daughter about where food comes from. I decided to try out square foot gardening after reading about the high vegetable yields that can be achieved from a small amount of garden space. An added bonus: this intensive method has required little thinning and weeding and no chemical inputs. My square foot garden has 18 one foot by one foot squares growing everything from Thai basil to cherry tomatoes to peppers to beets. We've been eating fresh radishes, peas, beans, and lettuce for quite a few weeks now, and we are quite enjoying the garden. So is this tree frog who has taken up residence in our lettuce square. It's a Gray Treefrog, showing off his ability to blend in with his lettuce-coloured surroundings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice garden and tree frog. Check out www.easy-garden.com for fantastic cold frames that can be added to your raised bed to extend the season.

TopVeg said...

Congratulations - you have grown some great veg for a first timer! So good to be able to nip out & pick your own!
Keep it simple!

Anonymous said...

well done! And great frog. I'm sure your daughter will pick up your appreciation and respect for wildlife as well!